Danny Whitaker made four changes to the starting eleven ahead of last night’s NWCFL Premier Division fixture against Litherland REMYCA, as goals from Neil Danns and Brandon Lee helped secure a much-needed 2 – 1 victory.

Jacob Hanson returned to the side after recovering from a thigh injury, whilst Edy Maieco and Sidi Sanogo were also handed a starting role.

After James Berry was injured in the warm-up, Kielen Adams stepped up from the bench, as Macc looked to complete a league double against the Merseyside-based team.

The visitors undoubtedly started the game in the ascendancy, as they passed the ball around with conviction and purpose.

The first real chance of the contest fell to the home team however, when Adam Hammill’s free-kick into the area was headed towards goal by James Hammill – yet it lacked the power to trouble Sam Ashton.

Macc continued to threaten and enjoyed their first opening in the 18th minute when Edy Maieco showed some nimble footwork in the box before firing the ball straight at Ryan Jones.

Ashton then had to have his wits about him as he turned Adam Hammill’s ferocious long-range drive around the post, before a flowing Silkmen move ended when Adams blasted the ball narrowly wide from the edge of the penalty area.

The deadlock was broken four minutes later however, when Neil Danns’ free kick from twenty-yards out was fumbled by Jones and trickled into the back of the empty net.

Within two minutes of the restart, our lead was doubled as Brandon Lee claimed his first goal for the Club in emphatic style.

Cutting in from the left, Brandon powerfully executed his strike which flew just inside the near post and sparked memorable scenes amongst the away contingent.

REMYCA then had a penalty appeal turned down after James Hammill claimed that he had been impeded in the box, before Jack Riley reduced the home side’s deficit in the 37th minute with a clinical strike from ten-yards out.

Kielen Adams then struck the ball marginally wide from distance as Danny Whitaker’s side looked to restore their two-goal lead, before Adam Hammill’s looping free-kick was easily saved by Ashton with what proved to be the last chance of the first period.

Litherland started the second half in defiant mood and were unlucky not to restore parity in the 49th minute when James Hammill’s thirty-yard free-kick flew agonisingly wide.

Gradually, Macc regained their supremacy and in the 52nd minute, Edy Maieco forced Ryan Jones into two magnificent saves in quick succession as he launched consecutive thunderbolt strikes from the edge of the area.

Three minutes later, the Silkmen could well have extended their lead when Brandon Lee’s pinpoint cross from the left was fired over the bar by Neil Danns.

Adam Hammill then warmed the palms of Ashton with a rasping drive, before Aaron Dwyer and Mark Duffy both forced Ryan Jones into action at the other end.

The hosts look to pile on the pressure in the closing stages, but were confined to largely speculative efforts that rarely threatened Ashton’s goal.

Macclesfield FC: Ashton, Hanson, Lee, Bruce (Dean ’87), Mendy, Sanogo, Maieco (Dwyer ’63), Danns, Clare (Londsale ’69), Duffy, Adams.

Subs not used: Djalo, Dean.

Macclesfield FC App