28 Aug 2022 | First Team, Match Report

The Silkmen maintained their perfect record to the new season with a 1 – 0 victory at City of Liverpool yesterday.

Danny Whitaker made three changes to the starting eleven that guided Macc to the First Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup last Saturday at Mossley.

The visitors made a bright start proceeding, controlling the possession and tempo – though it wasn’t without Marcelo Pitaluga being called into action on multiple occasions.

Two good Macc chances followed with Lewis Fensome and Neil Kengni going close inside the first twenty minutes, although the deadlock remained intact.

James Berry’s in-swinging free-kicks posed a threat for the City of Liverpool defence throughout, causing numerous problems in the danger zone following each delivery – but not enough to put the Silkmen in front.

Marcelo Pitaluga then produced a magnificent fingertip save to prevent City of Liverpool skipper Nathan Burke opening the scoring with a free-kick bound for the top corner.

The hosts then had the ball in the back of the net from the subsequent corner, but it was ruled out for offside – despite complaints from the men in purple.

Tom Clare thought he had given Macc the lead on the brink of half-time – finishing off a move he started, but Alex Curran had been caught offside in the build-up to the goal was disallowed.

The sides couldn’t be separated as they returned to the dressing rooms and came back out revitalised and eager to go in front as soon as possible.

Macc started the second half the brighter, Tom Clare provided brilliant hold-up play, with City of Liverpool unable to match him physically. Lewis Fensome unfortunately took the brunt of the host’s physical retaliations but was tough enough to be able to continue despite taking numerous blows to the head.

Mark Duffy however couldn’t continue – beaten by a reoccurring calf niggle with thirty minutes left to play. Likewise, Zeki Fryers precautionarily made way during the same break in play. Nicky Maynard and Joe Bunney replaced them respectively.

Just moments later, Alex Curran provided the difference between the two sides – bending a brilliant effort beyond Hamer with pinpoint accuracy in to the far bottom corner.

James Berry very nearly doubled Macc’s lead ten minutes later as he rode the challenges of a handful of defenders before seeing his powerful effort agonisingly cannon back off the post.

Tom Clare was replaced by Andy Owens with five minutes of regulation time remaining, following a physically dominant display.

Macc calmly saw the game out to take maximum points from all three league fixtures, making it five wins from five in all competitions.

Widnes are the visitors to the Stadium on Bank Holiday Monday, when the Silkmen will once again seek success on home soil.

Macclesfield FC: Pitaluga, Pemberton, Lee, Fensome, Fryers (Bunney 64’), Mendy, Kengni, Duffy (Maynard 64’), Clare (Owens 85’), Curran, Berry.

Subs not used: Bower, Grimshaw.

Attendance: 512.

By Will Jones.

More From Our Blog

Preview: The New Saints (A)

Preview: The New Saints (A)

The Silkmen return to Pre Season action this Saturday as we make the journey to Oswestry to take on The New Saints.  It has been a strong start so far for Robbie Savage's side with victories against Blackburn Rovers and Stalybridge Celtic but Saturday will provide a...



Goals from Tre Pemberton and Danny Elliott handed The Silkmen their second pre-season victory last night, in what proved to be an entertaining clash against a spirited Stalybridge Celtic side. Macc started the brighter and could well have opened the scoring within the...