MACCLESFIELD FOOTBALL CLUB BTEC ACADEMY
Home of the EFL Community & Education Football Alliance National Champions, the Macclesfield Football Club BTEC Academy is widely recognised as a leader in its field.
This course provides an excellent and varied programme giving you access to Higher Education or a wide variety of careers in Sport. You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding in Sport and apply your learning in a practical and realistic way.
Football participation will include both football sessions and physical gym training, taking place throughout the duration of the course.
There will be daily football training by our full-time Macclesfield FC coaches and competitive matches will typically take place in the EFL – CEFA League, FA Youth Cup, North West Under-21 Development League, British Universities and Colleges League and Cheshire Senior Cup.
It’s the goal of the Football Academy staff to provide opportunities for elite players to participate in training with the Macclesfield FC senior squad on a regular basis.
Entry Requirements (BTEC Level 3)
You will need to have achieved one of the following:
• A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade 4 and above, ideally to include English Language.
• A Level 2 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 2 Diploma)
A GCSE PE/Sports Studies qualification would also be advantageous and you will need to be able to demonstrate a reasonable degree of fitness.
On receipt of your application to study this course, you will be invited to attend an admissions interview and football assessment to discuss the course and its requirements further.
Entry Requirements (BTEC Level 2)
You will need to have achieved one of the following:
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
• A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade 5 or above, ideally to include English Language
• A Level 1 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 1 Diploma in Sport and Active Leisure)
A GCSE PE/Sports Studies qualification would also be advantageous, and you will need to be able to demonstrate a reasonable degree of fitness.
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview and football assessment to discuss the course and its requirements further
During this course, you will study a total of nineteen units. Eight core units will provide a general foundation and eleven specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
• Careers in the Sport and Active Leisure Industry
• Wellbeing and Sport
• Developing Coaching Skills
• Applied Coaching Skills
• Research Project in Sport
• Sport Development
• Self-employment in Sport and Physical Activity
• Sports Psychology
• Nutrition for Physical Performance
• Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
• Sporting Injuries
• Functional Sports Massage
• Fitness Testing
• Fitness Training
Alongside your main programme of study, you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above. If you have achieved a grade 4 or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
On successful completion of this course you may wish to;
• Apply to study at Higher Education such as a BTEC Level 5 HND in Sport (Coaching and Sports Development) or a Sport-related subject such as Gym Instruction, Leisure Management, Sports Coaching and Development or Teacher Training.
• University Courses (i.e. Sports Business/Coaching/Media).
• Pursue career opportunities within Sport & Leisure/Football Coaching & Fitness/ Private Gyms/Sports Business etc.
• Opportunities abroad. USA/Australia: Coaching/Playing/Studying.
• Football Apprenticeship Programme (More info TBC)
Possible visits may include Sport City, kayaking, rock climbing, football stadium tours, Universities and UCAS events, but could be subject to change.
Macclesfield FC Academy Kit can be purchased via the Football Club supplier.
All players will be expected (where possible) to wear Football Club leisurewear and training kit whilst participating on the football academy course.
Football participation will be varied with both football and physical gym training taking place throughout the duration of the course.
These will typically take place in the EFL – CEFA League, FA Youth Cup, British Colleges League, the National Football Youth League, Cheshire Senior Cup (senior), Central Reserve League (senior).
It’s the goal of the Football Academy staff to provide opportunities for elite players to participate in training with the Macclesfield FC senior team squad.
Players will be coached by the Macclesfield FC full-time coaches, including 1st team manager Danny Whitaker.
- Applying does not mean you’re committed, or that we are committed to you, yet! Applying just means you are interested, and you are in our thoughts. Applying is the first stage!
- Application is followed by a college 1 to 1 chat with a course tutor. At this present time these are done over the telephone. Once the College has excepted you, the Football Club will provide you with a Conditional Offer.
- If you join Macclesfield FC, it’s 99.9% likely that you can still play for your junior side at u17’s if you wish.
- This is a full-time programme, we will be utilising two locations: Macclesfield College site and the Football club site, with its new 4G pitch and state of the art gym. This will provide a unique student experience.
- You should seek advice and guidance about the National Rail 16-17 railcard from your local station. This allows 50% train journeys (which over 50% of our players do daily). The college will provide guidance on the bus network which is on offer to all Macclesfield College students.
For further information please contact Macclesfield FC BTEC Academy Manager Paul McGuire at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information, advice and guidance from Macclesfield College, call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410062.
To apply visit https://macclesfield.ac.uk/.